President Donald Trump, who ran on bringing the troops home from the Middle East, is once again beating the war drums against Iran.
He claimed without providing any evidence in a Wednesday tweet that Iran is preparing a “sneak attack” against the U.S. troops who are occupying the nation of Iraq.
Upon information and belief, Iran or its proxies are planning a sneak attack on U.S. troops and/or assets in Iraq. If this happens, Iran will pay a very heavy price, indeed!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 1, 2020
Trending: Why Substack Matters
Trump made this proclaimation after receiving an intelligence briefing from the deep state earlier in the day. Ever since Trump ordered the assassination of Iranian Major General Qassem Soleimani earlier this year, relations between the two countries have reached an all-time low with another endless war becoming a real possibility.
Trump has even refused to ease crippling economic sanctions on Iran during the coronavirus pandemic, a move that independent observers have called cruel and inhumane.
“The United States lost the best opportunity to lift sanctions,” Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said during a televised cabinet meeting. “It was a great opportunity for Americans to apologize … and to lift the unjust and unfair sanctions on Iran.”
“Americans could have used this opportunity and told the Iranian nation that they are not against them,” Rouhani added. “Their hostility [toward Iranians] is obvious.”
The Iranian regime maintains that they are doing well despite the U.S. interference and are making strides in preventing the coronavirus outbreak from spreading within their nation.
”The sanctions have failed to hamper our efforts to fight against the coronavirus outbreak,” Rouhani said.
“We are almost self-sufficient in producing all necessary equipment to fight the coronavirus. We have been much more successful than many other countries in the fight against this disease,” he added.
Nations such as the United Arab Emirates, China, Britain, France, Qatar and Turkey have filled the void, sending medical supplies including gloves and facemasks to help the people of Iran during their time of need.
Hawkish voices within the administration, including Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, have completely hijacked the President’s “America First” foreign policy agenda. The neocons are effectively calling the shots in the White House with Trump as the hapless pawn ordering global intervention.
“We will always respond to protect and defend Americans,” Pompeo told reporters on Tuesday. “Whether it’s our diplomats in our embassies and consulates inside of Iraq, or Department of Defense people who are serving or there are civilians who are contractors, we’ll always do everything we can to defend and protect them. We will respond if they are threatened.”
“We will respond against all of those who facilitated, trained, equipped, and enabled those attacks on America,” Pompeo added. “That holds as true today as it did two weeks, four weeks, or back in the beginning of January, when we took a strike against [Iranian general] Qassem Soleimani.”
It is now abundantly clear that the promise of the Trump administration to bring the troops home from the Middle East has been totally squandered.